Baby is a gift of God. A woman can be called a mother only if she gives birth to a baby. A woman is very proud when she brings her baby to this world. She is too caring to leave her baby alone. She wants her baby to be away from every sort of pain. It is very horrifying for a mother to think of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). This is also called the cot death. It has never been explained why a healthy and laughing baby falls a pray to SIDS. Even a postmortem remains silent about that.
In United States of America, nearly eight percent of baby deaths are caused by the SIDS, being the third leading reason for infant deaths. Almost 3000 baby deaths are caused by Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) every year. That is a big matter of concern for affectionate and loving mothers. The chances of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) are higher in baby boys than in girls. It mostly occurs in the age of two to four months so in this period a mother should be attentive to ever y call of her baby.
Breastfeeding Helps Reducing Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
A study shows that continuing breastfeeding till the 6th month of baby age minimizes the possibility of death caused by SIDS. The reasons favoring this reality are:
- Breast milk has an internal power to fight against many infections and keeps many diseases away from your baby.
- A baby needs better coordination between breathing and swallowing and the breast milk helps in developing that required coordination.
- Breast feeding is also a powerful sorry of calm for a restless baby.
- Breastfeeding has advantage over artificial feeding of a baby because the possibility of Gastro Esophageal Reflex (GER) is much less in breastfeeding.
- Central nervous system needs development consistently in order to cope with any infection. The breast milk has many ingredients like cholesterol and different acids.
How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS:
Here are some suggestions proposed for the concerned parents to reduce their baby’s risk of SIDS. These suggestions would go a long way to help parents fight against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Always keep your baby’s face uncovered so that there is no problem with the breathing. More over covering with a very tight and stuffed blanket can also increase the chances of SIDS.
- Keep the sleeping area of your baby, neat and clean and the bedding should not be loose and fluffy. Stuffed and broken toys should be removed from the mattress.
- Let the baby sleep on his stomach. Sleeping on the back is never preferable.
- Avoid overheating your baby by covering too much or overdressing.
- Smoking is injurious not only for adults but also for your innocent baby. A baby is more prone to the risk of SIDS if mother or someone near him smokes. Avoid exposing your baby to the smoke. It is a very good chance for a mother to quit smoking while she gives birth to her baby.
- Do not share baby bedding and avoid co-sleeping with the baby. The baby should be given full place and time to enjoy.
- It would be much better for your baby to sleep in your room in his crib. Studies show that this practice is very helpful to avoid SIDS.
The above suggestions prove very beneficial to the parents if they want to reduce their baby’s risk of falling a pray to the SIDS. It is to keep remember that Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is not something that happens suddenly. In fact, it is caused by some factors that parents should address. By taking into account the recommendations and suggestions of the experts, a mother can sleep satisfied as her baby does.